Most writers have hit writer’s block. Most workers have hit burnout. Most couples have run into ruts. Wile the list from WritetoDone is aimed toward writers, creativity is something every single person could use a little more of to make their world spin a little more smoothly….or at least with a little more fun along the way.
Here are some examples:
- Talk to a monkey. Explain what you’re really trying to say to a stuffed animal.
- Work on the title. Quickly make up ﬁve distinctly different titles. Meditate on them. What bugs you about the one you like least?
- Carry a notebook everywhere.
- Wake up ten minutes early, then go back to sleep and dream. (I do this every day anyway…..now I have a great excuse for it, wee!)
- Drink a beer with your buddies. Being happy will make you more productive. It will also give you greater enthusiasm.
- Give gratitude. Thinking about all the things you are grateful for produces a positive energy flow and vibration.
- Be in the moment. Athletes call this ‘being in the zone‘. Give full attention to whatever you are doing: eating, washing dishes, making your bed.
- Name the colors in a box of crayons. Name them with abandon, using words like squashed-pea-green, severed-arm-blood-red, or dancing-fairy-silver.
- Just say screw it. What I do know is that everyone gets jammed sometimes, even the pro writers you look up to. And when that jam happens, it’s important to remember that no one forgets how to write well. It doesn’t disappear. It’ll always be there. And maybe… maybe you just have to say screw it and stop looking for it so hard.
- Avoid logical thinking. It’s often the enemy of truly innovative thoughts.
- Don’t be afraid to be stupid and silly.
What do you do to put a little more pep in your step and creative flow in your life?